Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fromage Friday (recession edition)

In the throws of a massive economic breakdown, we tend to resort to a simpler way of life. Take the bus instead of driving. Brown bag lunch instead of takeout. Steve Maddens in lieu of Jimmy Choos.

With the exception of a maddening pay freeze, Mr. Valentine & I have remained largely unscathed by the current economy which is an incredible blessing that we do not take for granted. Like many people though, we realized that we need to be more prepared should that change. To that end we've changed some spending habits to be a bit more frugal.

When we were talking about where to cut back, we happened upon some hilarious "Mars vs. Venus" conversations. Here is an example:

Me: We could cancel the cable. We don't really need all those channels.
Him: I'll cancel the cable if you stop buying throw pillows.
Me: Ok. The cable stays.

All kidding aside, we've been much more conscious than usual, which is good. Not having children or a mortgage can lure you into a false sense of security when it comes to ancillary income.

Anyhoo - back to the matter at hand: CHEESE. As you are all aware, I pink puffy heart cheese. Unfortunately, once your cheese palette ventures beyond cheddar and pepper jack it can get pretty spendy. Since Mr. Valentine INSISTED I was NOT allowed to have a portion of the budget dedicated to the Whole Foods Cheese counter, I've been looking for more affordable ways to feed my habit. To that end I give you:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cranberry Chevre. This sweet & creamy goat cheese is covered in tart cranberries for a delicious combination. This cheese is a delicious addition to a cheese & cracker plate and also fantastic on toast in the morning. (Yep, I eat cheese all day.) This particular picture is courtesy of www.dedrickscheese.com but can also be found at Trader Joe's for a mere $5! That makes it delicious and frugal; perfect for the cheese monger on a budget.

Try it. Eat it. Make your friends eat it and tell them all about the crazy cheese lady that lives on the interwebz.

XOXO,

2 comments:

  1. DH and I had a cheese convo this week as well. He freaked over my 8.00 a lb Aged Asagio and didn't even see the 14.00 per lb grueyere. I tried to convince him that with the stronger tastes we actually use LESS then the cheap shred bag at the grocery store but he was not buying that argument. He can eat a block of cheese in one sitting with a sleeve of crackers. I told him in no uncertain terms to stay away from my cheese blocks for snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm cheese. I can't wait to go home and have some havarti with dill at lunch in t minus 30 minutes.

    PS you have won an award!

    http://jcamsfreakinawesomeblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-freakin-awesome-blog-has-won-couple.html

    ReplyDelete