Monday, February 22, 2010

Media Monday: Team U.S.A. edition

I am an Olympic whore. I really really really love the Olympics. I love the Olympics so much so that yesterday I watched curling. For two hours. The strangest part of the Olympics is that every two years when they arrive, I go from a tree-hugging, bleeding heart, liberal citizen of the world to a red blooded, profanity laced xenophobe who says things like: "You skated that Kraut under the table, Evan!" or "If it weren't for us you'd be speaking German, Frenchie!".

I don't get it. I love Germany and France. They are two lovely countries filled with even lovelier people, but this means nothing to me come Olympic time. When the French swimmers were taunting Michael Phelps at the last summer Olympics I boycotted French fries. And last week when the Russian men's figure skater badmouthed Evan Lysacek I muttered something about a "Borscht eating commie."

(For the record, I am not proud of these things.)

So, if you aren't horribly offended and care to keep reading, I am kicking off a Media Monday with my current media obsession:

1. TV: The Olympics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 'em. We have recorded and watched every event, even the weird one where they shoot things on skis. What is that? I want to try that! My favorite so far has been the aforementioned ass kicking in Men's Figure Skating by the incredibly attractive (and straight!) Evan Lysacek. I also would like to give a shout out to Johnny Weir who was totally low balled by the judges. I remain convinced that they are all jealous they can't rock a hot pink tassel like Johnny.

I also am eagerly awaiting more hockey now that team U.S.A. upset the heavily favored Canadian team. I don't know...I smell something special on the 30 year anniversary of the Miracle on Ice! You better watch your back Canada...we're comin' for ya.

No Olympic recap would be complete without mentioning the incredible Shaun White. As my uncle put it, "Shaun White is to snowboarding what Michael Jordan was to basketball. A whole other level." I'm not sure what is more awesome about Shaun White: his skills, his hair or the fact that he seems like one of the coolest dudes you could ever meet. I think Mr. Valentine has a dude crush on him, which I wholeheartedly support.

2. Non-Olympic TV: Big Love

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This show is incredible. According to the writers, they decided to use a polygamist plotline as an allegory for homosexuality and gay marriage. I appreciate the blending of real-life news tie ins (i.e. the FLDS raids in Texas, the Sinaloa drug cartels in Mexico and the hypocrisy of "family focused" politics.) along with an awesome cast of characters. It borders on soapy, but the kind of self-aware, well written soapy that keeps you coming back. Every actor on this show is sublime and the cameos are brilliant. Harry Dean Stanton? Sissy Spacek? I honestly think it's the best show on TV.

3. Book: The Financial Lives of the Poets

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Brilliant. Funny. Sad. Socially Relevant. My father in law lent me this book and his rave reviews were spot on. It's a wry and wise take on the current American economic situation and the responsibility that we all carry for it. This is a great book.

4. Movie: The Hurt Locker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I love the Oscars almost as much as I love the Olympics. (Apparently I have two alter egos, red-blooded American jock and fabulous gay man.) I always try to see all the Best Picture nominees before the ceremony, but since there are 10 this year I probably won't. I knew I had to see this one though and it did not disappoint. It is an amazing snapshot of a specific group of our armed forces that I didn't even know existed. I really pull for this type of movie over the "Avatar" types. I just think the intimate quality of a film like this is a true accomplishment.

So there you have it, all the media I am currently consuming. Hope you all have a good week and say it with me: USA! USA! USA!

And to my Canadian friends, I apologize, I won't be this way much longer.

XOXO,

1 comment:

  1. so glad I found this blog. You totally won me over with your Olympic recap. These winter Olympics would be the reason I am now sporting 10lb bags under my eyes...

    ReplyDelete