Thursday, November 5, 2009

And just like that...it was gone.

The writer's block that is. Oh, and my husband. Mr. Valentine is on his way to the west coast to see his little brother's last high school football game, so it's just me, Jake, Beans & my wine cabinet. (I kid. Kinda.)

So I was floundering for something to write about and, as these things often happen, inspiration slapped me in the face and called me Sally. (Which is also not my name, so keep trying stalkers.) The hubs and I were driving home for lunch when we passed a school. There was a group of children outside, maybe 20, all different ages. They were running around in the newly fallen leaves, tossing them in the air, throwing them at one another, rolling in them and smiling the smiles that only come from experiencing pure joy. It was so refreshing, in the era of iPods and Wiis and Kindles to see that for children, joy never has and never will require a USB port.

So I am challenging myself to find that joy in my own days, wherever possible. We adults get so bogged down in the minutia of everyday life that it sometimes feels like it's been weeks since I've smiled a smile like those children. So I'm going to try to slow it down this year. Mull some wine. Cook for my family and friends. Watch my little brother play football. Sing with my mom. Take the dogs to the park without worrying about the mud.

Hell, I might even roll in the leaves. It won't be long until they're gone.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly. I think our generation has lost some of the pure pleasure from a more simplistic life.

    ReplyDelete